18 April 2012

Run Auckland - Race 1 - 5K

Sunday marked my long awaited return to racing with race one of the Run Auckland series at Waiatarua Reserve, Remuera.  It is hard to believe that it is five years since my first five k race ,  which was coincidentally the same race back in 2007.  Back then I would not have believed it would be five years between races.

The lead up was not ideal having slightly pulled my left calf two weeks previously.  I took a six day break from running and then had three very short and light jogs of no more that 2 miles each in the last week.

A big thanks to Michelle also for the daily leg massages she so graciously agreed to all to help me get to the start line on Sunday.

Come race day I felt I was in good shape and ready to go. Based on my recent training I was aiming for a race time of 26:?? minutes.


The course was a two lap circuit of the reserve. I completed the first lap right on target pace at 12:40.   Midway through lap two and my calf was holding up well and I was feeling like I could push on through to the finish. I lifted the pace a notch holding a good pace right though tho the finish.

On crossing the finish line I was pleasantly surprised when checking my watch to see the stop watch had stopped at 25:01 .  That time placed me 4th in the 40 -49 year  old men and 15th of 37 men overall.

Looking back at my 2007 race , I was almost two minutes faster back then , finishing in 23:06

All I can say is its great to be back.  The goal now is to do a few more Run Auckland 5k races as well as a couple of the Xterra trail runs over the winter.  More later.

Course map.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP