29 July 2009

Yoga for Runners

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm now focused on making a return to running in the spring. I'm trying to cover all bases this time and am leaving no stone unturned in order to avoid injury again. So with that in mind I'm now planning at least a month of stretching and strength work before I even lace up my running shoes.

In my last post I outlined a series of stretches and strength exercises that I thought I might do. I've now done a bit more research and decided an actual Yoga routine for runners might be the better way to go in order to get in all the stretches I need to focus on.

I've found a couple of sites so far which offer a range of Yoga poses suitable for runners.

- At the 'Younger Legs for Older Runners' blog there is a great Yoga routine especially for runners, explained by Kelle Taylor. This is the one I'm trying out at the moment.

- At Runners World they have another routine especially for runners. Check it out here. I like a couple of these poses that are not included in the Younger Legs routine which I may also include.

At this stage I will be doing this routine twice a week for the next month.

As far as the strength training is going, I've decided to dust of my weight bench which has been sitting idle in the garage for the last year. I'll detail that routine later.

2 comments:

Unknown July 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Tough luck with the running. I like the Yoga idea and I hope whatever you find works this time.

Ewen July 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

Some of those poses would be a test for my (lack of) flexibility! Funny, we do the 'sunbird flow' as one of the pilates exercises, but we call it 'the pointer'.

Hope your boys soften up the South Africans for us ;)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP