05 May 2009

Heartbreaking end to Rotorua Marathon

Has there been a more heartbreaking finish to a marathon than at last weekends Rotorua Marathon?

Race leader Steven O'Callaghan takes stumble just metres from the finishing line allowing fast finishing favorite Scott Winton to overtake him and take out the race.

I can't imagine what poor O'Callaghan must have been feeling as he staggered across the finish line but he must still be having nightmares about it. Winton on the other hand probably cant believe his good fortune.

Watching this I thought , wouldn't it have been good to see Winton stop to help up O'Callaghan and then cross the line together to share the victory? Maybe that sort of stuff just happens in movies, there was a trophy and winners cheque to pick up after all.

Anyway the fact that it all happened so quickly and so close to the finish probably gave Winton too little time to react. I'm sure when you're just ten metres out from the finish line in a marathon the only think that crosses your mind is getting to that line. One day I'll experience the pain of those closing metres.

3 comments:

Pip May 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

I watched the Campbell Live interview and thought that yes, it was a shame, but O'Callaghan has so much talent that it won't be long before he claims his victory. Amazing story! There was no chasing down the winner when I crossed the line. I was more focussed on making sure my finisher's photo wasn't of me checking my Garmin and on trying to spot my husband in the crowd!

Unknown May 7, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

That's a pretty brutal way to lose a marathon.

Ewen May 10, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

Thanks Bruce - close finish! As you say, it happened so quickly, so there was no time for Winton to think about stopping.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP