11 January 2009

Biking vs Running

As I mentioned in an earliet post, I took my mountain bike into work this week with the intention of leaving it there so I could go for rides during my lunch breaks. It worked well and I went for three rides during the week each of around 30 minutes in duration but still long enough to work up a good sweat, particularly in the hot and humid weather we've been having this last week.

My ride on Friday was the harder of the three rides. I left my office in Newmarket, cut through Newmarket Park and down onto Shore Road, along to Orakei Road , into Ngapipi , past the boatsheds and on to Tamaki Drive. Then it was upto The Strand, past the Tennis Centre and into the Domain. There were a couple of short climbs to this point at Shore Road and again on Ngapipi but the climb from the Tennis Centre straight up into the Domain to the duck ponds was a killer. I eventually got to the top before coasting back around to the Grandstand for a cool down and stretch. Sorry no flash maps today!

So after three rides this week I'm feeling better about potentially just concentrating on my biking for a few months just to give the body a total rest from the stresses of running. The ultimate goal is to get back to running, but if I can't run at the moment then I'm happy to take up biking in the meantime. It gives me just as good a workout and the feeling of challenging myself to improve with each ride is just the same as with running.

This week I'm on leave from Tuedasy to Thursday as Michelle is back at work after her holiday break. I'm planning a trip with the boys up to a local Mountain Bike park for some off road riding.

5 comments:

Aaron January 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Sounds good. I was picturing your bike ride in my head and yep the climb up to the duck pond would be pretty challenging.

Good work on the cross-training!

Andrew is getting fit January 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

Must be fun heading down to Shore Rd though!

Anonymous,  January 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

Bruce, It sounds like you are establishing a good routine again. I’ve never been to Auckland but I imagine it is a pretty city for cycling.

Ewen January 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

The mountain bike park sounds like fun. A good opportunity to refine your technique and learn the tricks to crashing without hurting yourself ;)

Thomas January 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

My main problem with biking is that I cannot switch off. When running, the body automatically knows what to do and I can enjoy the ride. When cycling, I have to concentrate at all times.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP